Saturday, June 25, 2022

Teen Groups in today's YA literature

teen groups in books and movies for today's YA (Young Adult)
book-movie audience...

# by: Bill Schell ( bill@vikingasia.org )
# up_dated: Sat 25Jun22 Ordinal:176 @ 08:49(GMT-04:00)


I suspect, if one considers 'teen-groupings' one MUST
INCLUDE the "Hunger Games series"

Hunger Games link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_Games

-----------------------------------------------------

I 'thought' (years ago (when reading the "Virals" series
by Kathy Reichs)) that it 'fairly' depicted
a group of teen males who's leadership was
a teen female and they all seemed pretty happy.
Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virals

ONE THING I don't think is true in a lot of today's literature
is this 'paradigm', hmmm???

HOWEVER, now that more years have gone by and I've
read quite a few more books, I think that this is a common model
in current "Young Adult" stories, like it or not..???

there is:-----------------------------------------
the "Maximum Ride" series by James Patterson (4 - 11 books)
for whom / which / whatever these two books (early 2000s)
are 'PIVOTAL':

When the Wind Blows
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+the+wind+blows+james+patterson&i=stripbooks&crid=RR5S3Z70PM2S&sprefix=when+the+wind+blows%2Cstripbooks%2C90&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_19
and
The Lake House
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+lake+house+by+james+patterson&adgrpid=1332608664168146&hvadid=83288113549166&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=43994&hvlocphy=45475&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83288399165297%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=9614_10581545&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_7ch5iiobva_e

these two books were written long before the "Maximum Ride" series was
conceived of in it's present form, BUT for adult-readers these two books
do an excellent job of 'filling-in-the-details of what 'comes before' the
main Maximum Ride "series".

==============================================================

There is the "Shay Remby" series (3 books),
sometimes called the "Singular Menace" series:
authors: John Sandford and (his wife) Michele Cook
titles: (2014-2016) (The "Singular Menace" Trilogy)
Uncaged
Outrage
Rampage

link: https://www.goodreads.com/series/116363-the-Singular-Menace

=================================================================

That certain 'groupings' from PaperTowns - are a mix but a well
done mix is certainly no stretch... the book "The Cartographers"
(book by Peng Shepherd)is a 'foundation' piece,
but the "Paper Towns" brings the story to life with no Sci-Fi 'hiccups'..

------------ there is, though, a caveat to this issue:

1.) as teens the blood, gore, violence is pretty much non-existent
2.) the 'raw sex' present in MANY Adult novels is pretty much 'gone' except that the authors (all adults) seem to be pretty prolific and efficient at writing about KISSING, and they do this
a LOT!
3.) teens RARELY have access to cars (most are not old enough to
Drive? (think about this and how it may impact the story line...
I grew up in and around boats, MANY of these stories are in and
around boats (especially sailboats because no gas (funds) required.

4.) in the 'fight fight fight' scenes whic arise - teens typically do. not have access to 'weapons' (as adults perceive them) so they
Put more 'THOUGHT' into non-traditional method

ALL OF WHICH yields a MUCH MORE INTERESTING STORY LINE (I Think - your mileage may vary....