I've written, before, about James Patterson's series
about "Maximum Ride" the young teen girl with wings
Patterson started out this series as a 'trilogy' but
it morphed into 14 books, now...
the Maximum Ride story is fundamentally based on two
books that though not 'connected' so to speak but
depend on:
When the Wind Blows (ISBN: 978-0-4466-7643-4 (published 200))
and
The Lake House (ISBN: 978-0-7595-2784-3) (published in 2004
(note ISBNs MAY be for print-version not for an e-version)
both of which are, of course Patterson books, but from
the early 2000s...
I won't give away the 'story-line' in these prequel books,
but I will say in these two books you'll find a HUGE wealth
of information and answer a LOT of your questions (assuming
you have them!)
I read these as 'e-books' you can do that by buying them,
but you might also find them in a library- which is where I
got them
Enjoy these two books and if don't read the rest, that's fine
but they definitely give the series a roaring start